With the start of school quickly approaching, we wanted to provide some resources for your pre-planning needs! Explore our unit planning resources to get a jump on the year. Learn about ways to create a positive classroom culture from day one! Get to know your students in a way that helps you plan instruction. Plan creative ways to communicate procedures & expectations to make the most of the first few days of school!
Unit Planning Resources:
- Struggling to plan a difficult unit? Looking for some supplementary activities to help your students? Check out some free unit planning resources compiled by Teaching Channel!
- Want to plan your own units before school starts? Check out this blank unit plan template!
- Check out our free training from the Office of Student Learning on “Unpacking Unit Plans to Communicate Clear Learning Goals” or “Planning, Presenting, and Understanding New Knowledge.” See the instructions to register below!
Get to Know Your Students:
- Check out this list of printable student learning inventories for each grade level!
- Find some additional student questionnaire resources from Education World here.
Create a Positive Classroom Culture:
- Explore this article on classroom culture with some compelling do’s and don’ts for the start to your year!
- Check out this article from TeachingChannel on the importance of building class culture as a foundation for classroom management.
- Check out our free training from the Step Up for Students Office of Student Learning on “Rethinking Classroom Management.”
Communicate Procedures & Expectations:
- Remember to involve your students in creating classroom rules & norms with help from this article from Scholastic.
- Watch this video from The Teacher Toolkit to explore a creative way of teaching procedures.
- Unsure about how to communicate procedures? Check out a few video examples of teachers on the first day of school in elementary, middle, and high school.
To Register for training from the Office of Student Learning:
- Go to https://sufs.gosignmeup.com.
- Click on the Lesson Planning or Classroom Management.
- Register for a course in your region. Trainings are currently being scheduled and more will be added throughout the year. If you are interested in hosting any of these trainings at your school, contact your regional coordinator!